Thursday, January 04, 2007

prolog(rules), ok.

I've tried to fight it but there's no denying. Prolog rules.

It has been weird doing some Prolong-ing after all that recent LISP hacking. Somehow, all those old American arguments against logic programming rang louder in my ears as I sketched yet another pattern match. "Why give over procedural control to a resolution theorem prover?" and "Why add those extra layers of computation to your code?".

I have no real answer except this: I am v. productive in Prolog. In the last 3 days I've nearly recreated in Prolog about 2 months of procedural hacking that I did round XMAS 2004.

1 comment:

Jonny said...

Hi; I always loved Prolog too, but I always used it the way it was meant to be (problem solver) and nothing more.

I lead the development of "The Falcon Programming Language", merging several styles and paradigms, and we're planning to integrate a problem solving engine mimicking Prolog the best we can. Timeframe for this addition is 3-6 months. If you got some spare hours and you're interested, or if you know someone who can help out, we'd love you to pay a small visit to our site (don't want to spam, so just search for us, we're easy to find).

Tia,
Giancarlo