Thursday, August 31, 2006

Boehm singing "Ode to Fortran"

(As sung by Barry Boehm at a private party in his honor at CSEET'06):

Fortran, Fortran, going so fast;
Fortran, Fortran, going so fast;
I don't know what loop I'm on;
Won't you tell me where I've gone?

Got a job, about a year ago;
Invert a matrix, row by row;
This, I said, will be a breeze:
Fortran will handle this with ease.

Coded it up, took it up to compile;
When it returned, I lost my smile;
I will never learn to spell,
"EQUIVALLENCE" with just one "L"

Finally got my octal deck;
Loaded it up without a tape check;
Suddelnly some red lights glowed;
It went into the trapping mode.

It ran right through my storage block;
Shorted out the on-line clock;
Spun the tape right off their reel,
And stripped the printer's gear wheels.

Now I'm doomed, forever to pore;
Over my assembly code and dump of core;
Trying to find where my Fortran code;
Took off into the trapping mode.

No comments: